Sunday, July 18, 2010

Convent Bukit Mertajam RR Fed 450+ Students with Free Sandwiches!

We shared about Recess Revo to the girls last 2 Wednesdays ago and they are already bringing a Revolution to their school! Here's their latest testimony this week:

Hey all! This week was a very interesting week for our cf/ RR team here is why:

Monday
We came up with this idea to give out free sandwiches to the students and teachers (if possible) during our 'merentas desa' that was today. So, we prayed about it and decided to go for it. During recess, the form 4s told me that buying gardenia bread was easier as it saves time, money and energy. (we had to prepare at the very least 400 sandwiches) I was at first reluctant. But, it did make sense...perfect sense...if I were to add and I agreed to it, thinking that it was not a bad idea.

Tuesday
WE were discussing about the budget, where we were going to get 400 gardenia buns in like 4 days and that was when we met face to face with our first obstacle...budget problem. each bun was about 60 cents we only had a hundred ringgit. Then we reverted to ice creams and found the cheapest ice cream we could find. Then, we suddenly felt like cheapskates as we were looking at the money and were not doing it with our whole hearted effort. Thus, we reverted back to the sandwiches.

Wednesday
I went to meet Mr.Chin the coordinator for the event. he was very astonished at our generosity and gladly supported us. However, when he found out that it was not halal as we were making it at home, he began to worry and so did I (secretly) but I could not show him that part of me. I wanted to like "show" him that I knew what we were doing and explain to him that we could put up a huge sign saying NON HALAL! then only did he agree. It was a win win situation. or...so we thought....

Thursday
Early in the morning after morning prayer, Mr. chin told me to walk with him and I did. I knew inside of me something was not right. he broke the news to me. We could not do the sandwiches for the principal wanted everyone to have the same thing and she was concious if lets say the students were to share it with one another and by accident giving it to them (M). at first I thought that she was trying to dampen our spirits but then I realise that she wanted to protect us from the responsibilities that we were to bear if an accident were to happen with the non-halal issue. So, I went to tell the team about it. "What! We already bought the ingrediants! YOu serious?" yes, that was their reply. They were all in shock at what I had to say. I nodded my head. They told me to meet with the principal and explain to her that we already bought the ingrediants. So, off I went. She was very nice. She allowed us to use the cooking utensils in the school's cooking room as if we used ours it would make it non-halal. So I thanked her and ran as fast as I could to tell the others. when they found out about it they too were overjoyed! Praise the Lord! SEcond obstacle! Pass!

Friday
here was when i literally wanted to smACK my forehead...we did not plan the exact amount of ingrediants we were to bring. So in the end most of us had to buy extra stuffs...for this I would like to personally thank SInead, Fiona, and janyse for buying the extra ingrediants. So, we planned and just when we thought everything would go well...we were wrong again...

Saturday
The day we had all been waiting for arrived. 100 eggs! 15 cans of tuna! We were to make tuna and egg sandwiches but it turned out that we had more ingrediants than bread. What a catastrophe! we started smashing eggs, mixing the eggs with mayo, spreading, packing and stapling those packs...lightning speed. While we were doing that, the Form twos were helping stick the bookmarks that the form 4s so beautifully made onto...SATAY STICKS! Good job form twos and form 4s! Appreciate it lots! Due to the lack of bread, we had to go out and buy 3 more jumbo sized loaves. When me and Ann jill were at the stall...everyone doubt our mere act of kindness...thinking that there was something more to this than meets the eye...so I thought that no one was going to finish it and we had to take all of it home...but I was wrong...after we prayed a quick prayer...everyone took at least one sandwich and we gave them the bookmark...then some of them took 6 sandwiches saying that they would eat it during their tuition that was after the event. I was astonished and told Tiffany, "See how God works...amazing!"
In the end, everything was gone. There were no left overs. However...though the egg was finished...we had extra tuna cans and almost everyone was able to get a sandwich at least. but, we had extra bookmarks and so i passed it to the teachers. Then, a teacher (M) asked me what was recess revolution about..without thinking twice (or at all)...i answered her saying it was a programme done in cfs in schools. She then asked me what was the aim of this programme. I replied immediately saying it was to menunjukkan kindness...(smacks forehead...thank God my bahasa teacher was not around). I guess she was satisfies with the answer because she just nodded her head with a certain smile and as if on cue I too smiled and walked off. My heart was beating fast but I knew GOd was with me. Now here's the highlight of this whole thing;
During the prize giving ceremony the principal was to give her speech and it went something like this, " Saya amat berbangga dengan kelab cf yang telah melakukan khidmat sosial dan ini harus dicontohi oleh kelab-kelab yang lain." That sentence made me smile when i heard it from ann jill. my ears were shut at the other things that she wanted to say for I was happy with that sentence itself. we have been officially recognised by the principal and teachers in our school.

-Abigail, Convent Bukit Mertajam
Event date: 17th July 2010

For more pictures, http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=440202&id=141630655852632










No comments:

Post a Comment